- Black N10 mice available.
- Housed in an isolator.
- Mice homozygous for the Rag1tm1Bal mutation produce no mature T cells or B cells.
- Their phenotype can be described as a “non-leaky” severe combined immune deficiency (Prkdcscid/Prkdcscid). Prkdcscid mice produce some B cells and IgM.
- They have no CD3+ or T cell receptor (TCR) alpha-beta positive cells.
- The thymus of the mutant mice contains 15 to 130 times fewer cells than heterozygous or wildtype siblings.
- The thymocytes are CD8–CD4– and most are IL2 receptor positive.
- Neither the spleen nor bone marrow contain any IgM or IgD staining cells, indicating an absence of mature B cells.
- These and other data suggest that B cell and T cell development has been arrested at an early stage.
- Macroscopically, the mutants are indistinguishable from heterozygotes or normal wildtype siblings.
- Old mice can develop inclusion body nephropathy.