- Poor breeding performance; docile.
- Lewis (LEW/SsNArc) rat is the background strain.
- Lewis polycystic kidney (LPK) model of autosomal-recessive polycystic kidney disease (ARPKD).
- Lewis rats (LEW/SsNArc) with PKD arose as a spontaneous mutation of Nek8 (McCooke, et al., A novel mutation causing Nephronophthisis in the Lewis Polycystic Kidney rat localises to a conserved RCC1 domain in Nek8. BMC Genomics, 2012, 13: 393).
- Bilateral PKD starts as early as 3 weeks and progresses with age in homozygous animals (Kidney Blood Pressure Research 2007; 30: 129-144).
- Develop hypertension in homozygous animals and susceptible to induction of experimental allergic encephalomyelitis